[Kde-accessibility] KDE4 proposal: Paths in i18n strings

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Jul 3 12:50:04 CEST 2006

On Monday 03 July 2006 08:00, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Hello,
> This is a result of my discussion with Chusslove Illich
> <caslav.ilic at gmx.net> on paths for i18n strings:
>
> http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?KDE4TODOs_PathsInI18n

Nice. I have been thinking about this as well, although from a slightly
different perspective:

In many scenarios, especially the more technical ones, one needs to display
identifiers and names in i18n'd text. My big issue with doing that is
consistency. Should one use double quotes around the terms? Or single quotes?
No quotes at all? Etc.

To make KLocalizedString aware of types like QDir seems to solve the problem
of paths, but how does one achieve the same improvement for other strings?
What is it people generally inserting with %N, and what can be done for
making it consistent?

I'm thinking of something like an enum that tells what kind of "role"
or "type" a certain insert-string has. Although I don't know how that should
play together with the i18n calls.

Cheers,

		Frans