[Kde-accessibility] making fallback access keys configurable

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 11:12:27 CET 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 17:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> i'm sure you've hit CTRL in konqi and seen the billion access keys popup up
> all over the page. better yet is when it happens in kmail ;)
>
> attached is a patch that disables fallback keys by default, but makes them
> configurable. i'd like to commit this for 3.5.2 as well as to trunk/
>
> in future i think it would make sense to add this into the accessibility
> world of kde much as we do with slow keys, etc ....

Isn't the real problem that CTRL is hard-coded in Konqi and therefore it
cannot be turned off or assigned a different shortcut?

My sense is that most web pages do not provide access keys, so disabling
fallback access keys is the same as disabling access keys altogether.  I'm
not sure that will be well received by users with disabilities.

FYI, KOffice 1.5 now has a similar access keys capability.  By default, it is
activated using Alt-F8, but since this is a KDE shortcut, it can be assigned
a different shortcut or turned off altogether.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer