[Kde-accessibility] Timeframe for KDE 4

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 18:25:14 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 18:20, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> For the purposes of the TWG we can summarise the AT-SPI-related discussion
> as follows:
>
> The AT-SPI integration needs to be done in two distinct efforts:
>
> a) In order to enable AT-SPI-based assistive technologies to work together
> with KDE applications we can make use of the QAccessible framework.
> Basically this involves implementing accessibility-related information for
> all KDE widgets.
>
> This effort can be done without changing the API, but it needs to be
> completed before we release KDE 4. (Otherwise we would disappoint the
> people who expect KDE 4 to be as accessible as GNOME -- as we have told
> since about two years.)

Sorry, I'm a little confused.  In phase A, what happens to the existing KDE AT
applications (KMag, KTTS, etc)?  How do they make use of the QAccessible
framework?  I was under the impression that as a minimum we'd need the Qt/ATK
bridge (non DBUS) that Harald Fernengel implemented last year.  See Bill's
response in this thread.  Or are you suggesting that in phase A, KDE AT apps
not interface with ATK/AT-SPI?

> b) Enabling our assistive technologies to make use of AT-SPI is more an
> open problem. AT-SPI is currently based on CORBA. As a long-term goal it
> is planned to move AT-SPI to DBUS, but this requires to write an IDL
> compiler for DBUS first.

I'd like to look at this from the standpoint of a KDE developer wishing to
write AT applications for KDE4, or incorporate AT into KDE applications.
Will KDE4 permit me to do that and what does the interface look like?  What
libraries, compilers, etc. will I need and what dependencies will my
application have?  Given the level of effort to implement phase B, and the
need to coordinate with Gnome AT developers, it seems likely that phase B
won't be completed in time for the first release of KDE4.  What, if any
options will I have then?

Let's say for example that I want to implement a speech-to-text capability for
KDE.  I might base it on Sphinx.  My goal is to implement the STT capability
in such a way that it works with all KDE applications.  If it also works with
Gnome applications, that's a bonus.  So the AT-SPI seems like the best way to
implement it.  How would I go about implementing my STT capability if only
Phase A is in place?  If I understand what you and Bill Haneman are saying,
with only Phase A in place, I'd have to install Harald's Qt/ATK bridge,
install and compile my program against the ATK, and also install AT-SPI,
together with all the Orbit/Gnome dependencies these components bring in.  My
users will of course also have to install these components.  Will I be able
to commit my code to the KDE repository, or will I be banished to
extragear/playground because of the dependencies.  If this is the case, I
have little incentive to write my application for KDE.  I might as well go
join the Gnome developer's team where I can get better mainstream exposure
for my application.

I'm not asking all these questions in order to complain or throw cold water on
the plan.  Partly, its for my own clarification, but mostly I'm asking all
these questions because I want the TWG and board to understand the issues and
the ramifications.

I think it comes down to this (but I might be wrong).  Phase A permits KDE
applications to work with Gnome AT applications.  For instance, if I install
all the dependencies, I'll be able to use the Orca screen reader with KDE
applications.  However, if I want to write a KDE AT application, it will be
heavily dependent upon Orbit/Gnome components.  What will be the TWG's policy
or strategy for handling such applications?  Will they be banished to
extragear/playground?  Will the TWG recommend waiting for Phase B?

Thanks for listening.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer