[Kde-accessibility] Timeframe for KDE 4

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 21 15:20:54 CET 2006

Hi All:

As the lead for the Orca screen reader project, I've been following
this thread with some interest.  In my opinion, whatever work is done
probably should include consulting with the AT developers, as they
are the ones who will most likely get the benefit (or pain) from the
solution that is developed.

My interest is in getting a screen reader developed to provide access
to the desktop, and I'm relying on the AT-SPI to do this. My
*preference* here would be to have KDE accessibility provide
interaction with the AT-SPI much like GTK+, Firefox, OpenOffice,
etc.  That is, Orca can discover apps via the AT-SPI Registry and
interact with AT-SPI Accessible's via the PyOrbit interfaces like
Orca is doing now.

That is, Orca currently uses the PyOrbit Python module to discover
and interact with the AT-SPI registry as well as gnome-speech.  All
interaction is done via pure IDL with no C-SPI or other hand crafted
layer in between: PyOrbit takes care of all of that for Orca.  The
direct interaction with IDL greatly simplifies the problem by getting
Orca "closer to the metal" and eliminates another abstract layer that
might contain bugs in its own right.  This underlying simplifying
assumption has helped me focus more on the screen reading problem
rather than needing to write/debug/maintain yet another AT-SPI (e.g.,
CSPI<->Python) or gnome-speech abstraction layer.  If things could
remain as simple as discovery and interaction with IDL-based objects,
my life would be easier.

Will