[Kde-accessibility] Timeframe for KDE 4

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 21 12:50:01 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:36, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> [ Gary Cramblitt ]
> > I believe there is ALOT more to this.  The AT-SPI currently requires CORBA
> > libraries.  There is a desire to switch it to DBUS. To do this properly,
> > we need an IDL to DBUS compiler.  AFAIK, nobody has begun work on that.
>
> Harald said someone is working on it (I don't remember who), but I agree that
> this needs to be added to our list of requirements for KDE4.
>
> There are two parts to AT-SPI support in KDE. One of the parts (making KDE
> applications accessible to assistive technologies) would be possible without
> a move to DBUS. The other part (making the KDE assistive technologies support
> AT-SPI) needs DBUS.

I don't understand why this is, as the proposal I though we agreed to in
the short term bridges Qt/KDE to AT-SPI (via the atk-bridge, if I recall
correctly).

The DBUS work is only needed to (eventually) remove the need for
accessible KDE apps to dynamically link to the ORBit2 libs (via the
atk-bridge).

A DBUS-based approach, if implemented in KDE at this time, would NOT
work with the existing AT-SPI-based assistive technologies, as they need
native AT-SPI support.  While I think we agree that an alternative to
the CORBA IPC is an attractive long-term goal, to make it easier for the
desktops to share assistive technologies, I don't see how it can work in
the "initial" KDE4 timeframe.

Best regards,

Bill