[Kde-accessibility] Another speech engine for KTTS?

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 02:19:54 CET 2006

In article <200602071959.54036.garycramblitt at comcast.net>,
   Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 10:11, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> > Here is another speech synthesis engine which can be used with KTTS.
> >    http://home.clara.net/jsd/linux/linux_speak.zip   (200 kbytes)

> I downloaded the zip file and took a look.  No source code and the
> license is not stated.  Also, never heard of portaudio.

If you think the engine is useful, I'll make the source code available
under GPL.

portaudio is a "cross platform open-source audio I/O library".
Details are at: www.portaudio.com

The Debian package  libportaudio0  was included on the Mepis Linux
distribution that I use.  It should be readily available.

> Based on the README and "speak --help" it does not appear that
> linux_speak will create a wav file.

Thanks for the information.
Producing a WAV output file with a -w argument should be simple enough.

> I will email the author to see what his license terms are, whether
> source code is available, and if output to wav can be added.

That's me :-)
I'll try and get the -w argument added tomorrow.

BTW I've just noticed that it's not recognising accented characters in
German.  Perhaps a signed/unsigned character problem.  I'll try and fix
that too (not that the German should be taken seriously though).