[Kde-accessibility] Konqueror Access Keys

Leo Spalteholz leo.spalteholz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 20:56:20 CET 2006

Seeing this discussion
(http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/291-KDE-Misfeature.html) made me
think about the access keys function in Konqueror again.  Many
commenters said that they use this feature to navigate the web using
the keyboard.  I just wrote a paper proposing a new technique for
keyboard navigation on the web (will post when it gets published) and
I was always under the impression that while Konqueror's access keys
were a good idea, they didn't work on many real world pages.  From the
comments it sounds like they do work for many people, so perhaps I am
missing something.   The reason I can't use Access keys are:

1.  Links and fields are assigned identifiers from the 26 letters and
10 numbers.  That means any screen with more than 36 elements is not
fully acccessible.  Many websites I use have more than 36 links
visible at any one time.

2.  Access keys are sometimes assigned incorrectly.  Two different
links will have the same associated access key, making it impossible
to click a desired one.

3.  Closely spaced links cause boxes to overlap, obscuring some access
key letters.

Is there something I'm missing, like a way to access web pages with
more than 36 selectable elements?

Thanks,
Leo