[Kde-accessibility] Orca/KDE Integration

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 28 23:30:53 CEST 2006

Gary Cramblitt wrote:

>Thanks for your comments Bill.

Sure.

>From the XEvIE 1.1 spec:
>
>"The XevieStart? function requests that the X server enable XEvIE extension.
>Only one client at a time can enable XEvIE extension. Once XEvIE is
>successfully enabled, all the XevieSelectInput? specified events will be sent
>to the client who enable XEvIE. If XKB or AccessX? is enabled, the events
>that are sent to XEvIE clients are XKB/AccessX processed (filtered) ones. The
>XEvIE client takes full responsibility to handle the events. The events can
>be sent back to X server through XevieSendEvent? and can be consumed by the
>XEvIE client. Start from Ver1.1, XEvIE allows multiple clients to enable
>XEvIE extension in Read-only mode. Only one client at a time can obtain the
>write permision by invoking XevieLockWriteChannel?. The client who has write
>permision takes full responsibility to handle the events."
>
>From this, my interpretation is that two cooperating registries could receive
>events.  One would have to be the "master" and the other a "slave" that
>forwards the write requests to the master.  Ideally, both the Gnome and the
>KDE registries could act as either master or slave.

Cool. That sounds reasonable.

>>The current Registry: interface doesn't directly use Xevie though - the
>>interface whose implementation requires XEvie is called
>>DeviceEventController.  DeviceEventController is responsible for device
>>event notification and synthesis.
>>
>>One possibility would be to have two Registry instances, but only one
>>DeviceEventController.  Because clients of "both flavors" of Registry
>>would need access to DeviceEventController, you would still need somehow
>>to either proxy the singleton D.E.C. or have the D.E.C. speak both
>>protocols.
>>

>That sounds like a possible approach.
>

>>But really, more than this would be needed to solve the problem of
>>interoperability.  If there are two Registries (and two AT-SPI
>>protocols, which is implied by all this), then in order for AT written
>>to either wire protocol to work with the whole desktop, the two
>>protocols/registries would have to proxy one another.
>>

>It is my intention to use the same AT-SPI IDL files as Gnome, so the
>accessibility "protocol" is the same, but the wire protocol is different.

I see from reading your wiki/website for the orca/dbus work that you
intend to provide an orca that can talk to either backend data source,
transparently. That seems as though it would address my concern below.

>>>Maybe it makes more sense to have a registry that can speak both
>>>CORBA and D-Bus (via modules). Does the current CORBA AT-SPI registry
>>>code support a move to D-Bus?
>>>

>>I am not sure what you mean by "does the code support a move to DBus".
>>I think there are a number of significant obstacles to such a move but
>>if they can be removed, I think the codebase could be changed fairly
>>easily.  There is not a whole lot of CORBA-specific code in the
>>at-spi/registryd/*.c codebase.
>>

>I browsed the code briefly last night.  It appeared to have a lot of CORBA
>stuff to me.   I came away very discouraged.  I will take another look with
>an eye towards the D.E.C strategy you mentioned. :/

Well the CORBA stuff should all be in the impl stubs. It should be
easily factored out so that two sets of wrappers were around.

| * There is a compiler that generates various D-Bus bindings from an XML

>>>description. If it is possible to express the whole IDL in D-Bus
>>>Introspection XML, then we would get bindings for all languages and
>>>toolkits supported by D-Bus. Otherwise it might perhaps be possible to
>>>reuse code.
>>>

>>I think we should be really careful to avoid using XML in our standard
>>RPC protocol here, for performance reasons.  But for instrospection
>>along (i.e. interface query and obtaining interface handles) I guess it
>>would be fine.  I am not sure what exactly you are proposing above.
>>

>The current D-Bus XML spec falls way short of the needs for AT-SPI.  There are
>no enumerations, no way to embed comments, and no way to type objects
>beyond "o" = object reference.  I understand they are working on some of
>these things for the next iteration of D-Bus.
>
>The only way I can see the XML being useful right now is in addition to the
>AT-SPI IDL files.  If one assumes that the XML is in sync with the IDL files,
>then the XML could be useful for generating the wire protocol part of the
>code.

Sounds like redundancy/duplication which would just be one more thing to
keep in sync manually. Not really an attractive idea.

>  One approach that has occurred to me is to use the dbus-binding-tool
>to generate .c code from the XML, then wrap that code in a Python extension
>module using SIP.  But this approach doesn't really gain a whole lot other
>than producing a bunch of .c files that can be re-used in other projects,
>but easily generated as needed anyway.  It does eliminate the need for using
>the dbus-python bindings in Orca, so its an approach I am still considering,
>given that dbus-python has some limitations.  OTOH, writing (and maintaining)
>all that .sip code is not something I want to do.

Understood. Automation is good, runtime binding is even better.

>>Perhaps it would make more sense to use the D-Bus binding generator you
>>mention as a codebase for extension to IDL, i.e. use it to build an IDL
>>compiler rather than go from IDL to XML and then D-Bus.
>>
>>It may be that DBus Introspection XML is not a good fit, but that some
>>other extension to DBUS, or some other API built on top of DBus, is.
>>
>>One thing that worries me a little is talk of Orca "integration" if in
>>fact the modified Orca won't work with Firefox, OpenOffice.org, and
>>Gnome/GTK+.  That would seem more like a fork than a port ("FOrca" ?).
>>

>Its my intention for the Orca bonobo/ORBit and  D-Bus code to be loadable
>modules.  Both the bonobo/ORBit module and the D-Bus module could be loaded
>simultaneously, or singly at user's option.  If a KDE user wants Firefox,
>OpenOffice.org or Gnome/GTK+ apps to work with Orca, then they would load
>both modules.  A Gnome user who doesn't care about KDE apps would load only
>the bonobo/ORBit module.  So I don't see any need to talk about a "fork" of
>Orca.

Understood - and this was clear when I read your online docs about the
work so far. Thanks for the pointer and thanks for explaining your plans
so clearly!

>Even if I can't get both modules to work simultaneously (either/or), at least
>KDE will gain a screen reader and KDE developers can work on making their
>applications more accessible.
>
>I fully admit this is not a "full up" solution that unifies the two desktops.
>Assuming I can get my project to a working state, I would expect it to be
>replaced later with the "full up" solution, whenever and whatever that might
>be.
>
>If nothing else, my efforts will identify the issues that need to be
>addressed.  What will the performance via D-Bus be like, for instance?  How
>to solve the problem of object lifetime?   Something that is becoming very
>apparent to me right now is that the Registry is going to be a serious
>obstacle to unifying the two desktops -- something I was not aware of prior
>to beginning this project.

I hope to keep chatting with you about that. So far it's not apparent to
me that this need be so, perhaps there are some things I can do to make
registry unification more practical.

Like you, I worry about the performance. It seems to me like a lot of
work just to avoid using ORBit2 in the short term...

Best regards,

Bill