[Kde-accessibility] KDE Accessibility - sorry, off topic.

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 16 18:12:14 CEST 2006

Hi Olaf,

Just a quick comment...

> But screen readers do not help partially sighted users, users with learning
> difficulties, or people who simply love to have system notifications or IRC
> messages spoken. kttsd is being used successfully by all these user groups.

Actually, users with a fairly wide range of disabilities use screen
readers (and especially those that are dual screen reader/magnifiers,
like most especially ZoomText for Windows) outside of their "core design
center" of blind users, because they find the functionality useful.
ZoomText in particular has a significant audience of folks with learning
disabilities, who use the features of ZoomText highlighting the words as
they are spoken, and also the AppReader and DocReader functionality (the
later function re-renders the document content in a specific font &
size, and scrolls it as it is read in a separate window).

None of this is to suggest that having applications self-voice is a bad
thing; it isn't!  Nor to suggest that it is better to make your screen
reader a swiss-army knife of functionality rather than having a set of
special purpose tools (that's anyway too general a statement to have
much meaning).  But I do want to point out that the converse is likewise
a bit general in the other direction...

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.