[Kde-accessibility] Offer to help

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 23:14:11 CEST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 10:19, Γιάννης Παπαδόπουλος wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't know if this list is still in use. I am not a programmer, just a
> history student. I would like to help to make KDE accessible to persons
> with visual disabilities. Is there a way I can help?
> Thanks
> Yannis

Welcome Yannis.

One way you can help is through application accessibility testing.  Take a
look at the KOffice Accessibility Assessment here for an example:

http://accessibility.kde.org/reports/

There are lots of applications that need assessments.  If you write an
assessment, send it to me, I'd be happy to post it on the website.

Keep in mind however, that the transition to Qt4/KDE4 is underway and
applications will change significantly.  However, folks can't learn from
their mistakes unless they know about them. :)

I noticed you are Greek.  If you care to get involved in a more technically
challenging project, AFAIK, there are no free Greek voices available for the
Festival Text-to-Speech engine.

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

If you want to get involved in that, recommend you start by posting a message
to the festival-talk mailing list to see if anyone else is working on a Greek
voice.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer