[Kde-accessibility] an idea i have been thinking about

david powell achiestdragon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:51:15 CET 2005

problems that i can see from a blind persons point of view
and a possible way that could be tackled to try and solve it

mainly i had the idea to the solution before it accured to me
how bad the problem needs to be looked at

i was initaly thinking of using the current avalable tts with the view
to creating wav/ogg files that could be used in standard knotifications
where the tts is not avalable

then it sort of accured to me that if there is no tts configured in kttsd
how easy would it be to auto detect a tts and try to do install it
but then i spotted the bigger problem

it may be posable for a blind person to get the machine set up in the first
place
by someone for them , but after that they are pritty much on there own , and
any problem
and configuration would realy need someone there who can help them

maybe ok in an educational establishment but when thay need to call an
technition or friend
over to help then it can get too much for them to constantly ask for help

anyway
was thinking that it should be possible to build a script that would auto
detect and configure
kttsd's voices
as it also accuerd that the kttsmgr interface could be hard to use , and in
most cases imposible if
not configured with a voice
(this is assuming a working screen reader )

so the idea came to create a audio driven menu system to aid configuration of
it
(and maybe other things later )

anyway partly would depend on the feature request i posted but in its self is
a diferent application
idea

using a hotkey ( in kde ) the following program (description of it ) should be
started
think it should be part of kdeaccessibility

a driven speech configuration script

to do this  without a tts configured it will use audio files (.wav or .ogg)
that contain the menu options

the actual text to be spoken will be the translation of the text recorded as a
wav by tts for the avalable tts languages
that we can currently use (so to be fair we dont have french but we dont have
a french voice to use anyway )
so it is posable to get translations

giving an option system in a way like you get on those phone menues " press 1
for .... etc  would alow it to be used
and let a blind person be able

by using pre recorded tts output in the distribution we can get it to speek in
any language that we have a voice for
so even if the default language of izulu was that the user has selected as the
desktop , the menu audio will play in that
even if that voice is not installed or canot be found
so the user will get a spoken mesage back even if the tts will not start

if this application can be started on kde login it would be benifical to
people who are blind or low sighted
as i feel that thay could be totaly lost if there tts fails

anyway dont know what you think , but could posibaly be extended to other
functions
maybe include menus for system functions , or to start some other applications
also

i dont think it will be a replacment for a screan reader but feel that it may
be a verry usefull seprate
package that does not depend on the tts system working

basicaly its an attempt to provide a method so that a blind person may walk up
to a machine (with kdeaccessisbility installed )
and within a short time should be able to have any avalable tts software
enabled and working

idea open to descussion , and guess it needs a developer or two willing to
write it

(hope it makes sense )

Dave