[Kde-accessibility] talk as type and konqueror events

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Jun 3 19:08:36 CEST 2005

Paul Giannaros wrote:

> Accomplishing this on a global level around KDE (whenever you type
> text into fields in any KDE application) strikes me as a difficult
> thing to do.

Yes, this will probably have to wait until at-spi support for Qt is
integrated into KDE.  When that happens, there will be a uniform
interface for text-change events globally available, so a client could
be written to use ktts.  Or an already-existing screen reader like
gnopernicus or orca could be used as-is, or patched to use ktts instead
of gnome-speech.

If what you want is 'key echo' only, then it's a bit easier, you could
use the XEVIE extension which is provided with the latest XOrg xserver
11.6.8.1.  But this only tells what keys were pressed, it doesn't tell
you what characters resulted, as that is a function of the application
and input method in use.

regards

Bill