[Kde-accessibility] Mouse emulation on/off

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 1 16:32:41 CEST 2005

Hi Chris:

The key sequence associated with MouseKeys isn't determined by KDE.
MouseKeys is a feature provided by the XKB X Server extension.  A fair
bit of thought went into the "usual" choice of keybinding used.

The exact key sequence used is actually determined by the xkb keyboard
map that you're using.  There is a special X KeySym,
XK_Pointer_EnableKeys.  The "de facto standard" for this according to
the XKB documentation is Shift+Alt+NumLock.  It shouldn't matter whether
the shift and alt keys are the left or right=hand ones, as long as they
generate the correct keysyms (possibly your right Alt key is mapped to
something other than 'Alt' ?).

You probably can imagine why making NumLock alone provide MouseKeys is
not a good default choice for all users, and thus why it isn't defined
in that way in the standard XKB keymaps.  It is possible to
hack^H^H^H^Hmodify your keymap so that the XKB_Pointer_EnableKeys maps
to some other physical keycode sequence.  Alternatively, you can write a
utility to programmatically turn on the XKB MouseKeys Control (see
section 10.5.1 of the XKB manual - google for XKBlib.pdf).

regards

Bill

rampsonc at comcast.net wrote