[Kde-accessibility] Question: How can I improve my app (kdeedu/kalzium)

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Jan 10 15:13:48 CET 2005

Hi Carsten!

Thanks for your mail and sorry for the delay in responding.

Bill and Peter have already mentioned the most points, but I decided to
also look at kalzium to see whether I can find any more ideas.

One very important area is of course keyboard navigation. I like your
minicli idea. You might also think about arrow navigation in the table.
Defining shortcuts and accelerators for all menu elements also helps.
Alllowing the users to enter a number whereever a slider is used would
also make keyboard use easier, and adding an label for the sliders with
an accelerator.

You might also wish to improve the "Keine unterschiedlichen Farben" mode
to only use the text and base (text background) colours from the current
colour schemes. This is important for partially sighted people who need
to use white text an a black background, for example. The mode should
support to show all information without the use of additional colours
(apart from other standard colours such as highlight background and
foreground colours). This means you would have to show the aggregate
state as text in this case.

For KDE 4.0, it would also be good to provide a QAccessible object for the
element widgets. This will make it possible for blind users to use
kalzium with a braille device or a screen reader. More information on
this will be available once Qt 4.0 has been released.

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project