[Kde-accessibility] Speech Plugin

Mauricio Bahamonde elkrammer at kde.cl
Mon Jan 3 16:29:04 CET 2005

Hi,
	A few days ago, Duncan told me about bug:95529 and asked me if I would like
to try to make a plugin for that because it was relatively simple to do. As
i'm new to KDE Development, I agreed because it would be a great oportunity
to learn more and get more involved in KDE, so I started writing it, and I
think I had success, the plugin does what it's expected to do, no more, no
less ;-)
Well, the plugin basically "Speaks the incoming messages" through KTTSD, so
you can be working and not paying attention to kopete, and if you receive a
message, you will hear it through your speakers ;-) I think it may be useful
too for disabled people.

For this plugin to work, you need:
- A speech synthesis engine (Like festival)
- Recent kdelibs from CVS HEAD
- kde-accessibility module

I think that's the minimium requirements. You can check
http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/index.php for more info.

Once kttsd is working, the plugin should work with no problems.
You can find the plugin at http://ktown.kde.cl/~elkrammer/kde/speech.tar.gz
Untar that file in kdenetwork/kopete/plugins, it should create a subdirectory
called speech.
Then edit kdenetwork/kopete/plugins/Makefile.am and in the SUBDIRS line, add
"speech" without quotes. Well, I guess you guys know this better than me ;-)

Please, give me feedback on this.

Greetings,

--
Mauricio Bahamonde
<elkrammer at kde.cl>

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
	-- John Powell