[Kde-accessibility] Linux, KDE, Audio Recording, Voice Recognition, & installation questions

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Fri Apr 29 14:09:29 CEST 2005

Hello,

On Friday 29 April 2005 07:29, Robert Oschler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently added speech recognition to my open source Robosapien Dance
> Machine software, by creating a Windows DLL out of the Sphinx 3.5
> recognition engine (another open source project on SourceForge).

That sounds interresting. Voice recognition is a topic that is currently
not available with Linux.

> [...]
> I have never learned how to make a library with gcc. One that I could
> easily install on at least a few of the major Linux distros.  My main
> fear is library compatibility issues across platforms.
>[...]

Building one library that fits for all distributions is nearly impossible.
At least it depends on the compiler-version and the version of the libc if
the library is useable. That is why most often you can download either the
source code or a build for one given distribution. Is distributing the
source code an option for you?

Anyways, discussing how to build a library is off-topic for this list. You
might want to ask on a gcc-users' list (or on kde-devel if you are
prepared to make your work dependent on KDE).

> My secondary concern is cross-distro compatible audio recording.  Is
> there a really popular library that is prevalent on the major Linux
> distros, whose presence I can rely on?  If so which is it?  I'll need to
> be able to get the audio asynchronously instead of in batch.  I'll need
> the audio buffer by buffer as it comes in the microphone, not in bulk
> when the user has finished speaking..
> [...]

Audio in Linux most certainly means ALSA, unless you decide to work with a
more high-level sound system like ARTS, for example). You might want to
ask on an ALSA-developer's mailing list or on kde-multimedia.

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package