[Kde-accessibility] Color problems [was: Re: KDElibs: KSystemTray: On window close dialog]

Maks Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 28 15:54:38 CEST 2004

> Would it be possible to add a "Warning Color" to the color schemes for KDE
> 3.4, or would this break binary compatibility? Otherwise a solution might
> be to use two colors instead of only red.

Not binary compatibility but file/backwards compatibility; and note that
styles will not be able to use this without a hack.

> None of the styles works correctrly using a white on black color scheme.
> We either need to add a style frame color to the color scheme, or the

you can't, QColorGroup is not extensble, and styles can't access KDE settings.

> styles need to check for the background color and optionally use white
> instead. At least the default style for KDE 3.4 should be fixed, but it
> would be better if none of the styles had this bug.

Well, please file relevant bug reports. I am only aware of one issue (see
below).

> A related problem needs to be fixed in Qt: The 3D effect currently only
> really works if the background color is light. If the background color is
> black, both 3D effect colors are also black, meaning that frames are
> invisible.

Yeah, this also makes handling i.e. the greyout effect in the menu entries
very hard on white-on-black colorschemes. However, this isn't actually in Qt,
AFAIK, well, at least for KDE apps (and probably for Qt apps indirectly
through krdb export): see KApplication::createApplicationPalette.

-Maks