[Kde-accessibility] Plans for KDE 3.4

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Oct 20 16:37:50 CEST 2004

El Miércoles 20 Octubre 2004 16:20, Olaf Jan Schmidt escribió:
> [Luciano Montanaro, Dienstag, 19. Oktober 2004 16:17]
>
> > > * Try to get as many monochrome icons as possible, and provide an
> > > icon effect to make icons monochrome on-the-fly
> >
> > Kde-look has a couple of themes that are at least close to what is
> > needed:
> > - ReinHardt, which comes in SVG too, and can be scaled up to
> > 256 pixels in size, but is maybe a bit too abstract-looking, and
> > - Flat which has a more conventional look, but has mostly monochromatic
> > icons with solid borders. I think we could convince the author to
> > release the SVG files if they are needed.
>
> You can find an SVG version at
> http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=17158

Yes, but the SVG version for the Flat theme has just been added.
The theme package is also quite small, since it contains just the 16x16
icons and the svg files, so it would not be a burden if packaged with KDE.

> Both icon sets are grayscale rather than monocrome, but if it is possible
> to turn the Flat icons into monochrome ones without too much work, then
> this might inddeed be a starting point.

Sure. I contacted the author, meanwhile, and he seems interested in
collaboration. I suggested him to subscribe to this list, so maybe we'll
hear from him soon.
Adapting the color scheme, as he says himself, should be easy to do with
some script.

> But this is something the KDE Artists have to decide upon. I have little
> knowledge of creating SVG icons, so I don't know whether it would be
> easier to make new icons or to change an existing set. I can only say
> which kind of icon set is needed for accessibility purposes:
>
> For people with low vision we need a monochrome icons set that only uses
> the colours white and black, and that does not have too much detail in
> the icons. The icon set should be in SVG format so that it is scalable to
> extreme sizes.

Currently, these icons scale to 256x256, in the panels and in konqueror.
Having more sizes is just a matter of adding them in a configuration file.

Are icons needed in white-on black and in black-on white flavours? In this
case, The normal 'flat' icons together with a script to generate the
alternates theme could be used.

> If the KDE Artists agree that maybe the Flat icon could easiliy be
> changed into a true monochrome one for accessibility purposes, then it
> might be a good idea to contact the author and ask whether s/he would be
> willing to contribute to KDE by making this icon set monochrome.
>
> [...]
>

> > > * Create a meta theme for high contrast and low contrast
> > > * Fix a lot of bugs that make KDE difficult to use for people with
> > > low vision
> >
> > Sure. Having a list of  the bugs would be handy. Some of them could be
> > really easy to fix, if known.
>
> Thanks. I will post a detailed list of problems next week, because I will
> be away for a couple of days.

Perfect.
Thanks,
Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                            - Enoch Root