[Kde-accessibility] Plans for KDE 3.4

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Oct 20 16:20:46 CEST 2004

[Luciano Montanaro, Dienstag, 19. Oktober 2004 16:17]
> > * Try to get as many monochrome icons as possible, and provide an icon
> > effect to make icons monochrome on-the-fly
>
> Kde-look has a couple of themes that are at least close to what is
> needed:
> - ReinHardt, which comes in SVG too, and can be scaled up to
> 256 pixels in size, but is maybe a bit too abstract-looking, and
> - Flat which has a more conventional look, but has mostly monochromatic
> icons with solid borders. I think we could convince the author to
> release the SVG files if they are needed.

You can find an SVG version at
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=17158

Both icon sets are grayscale rather than monocrome, but if it is possible
to turn the Flat icons into monochrome ones without too much work, then
this might inddeed be a starting point.

But this is something the KDE Artists have to decide upon. I have little
knowledge of creating SVG icons, so I don't know whether it would be
easier to make new icons or to change an existing set. I can only say
which kind of icon set is needed for accessibility purposes:

For people with low vision we need a monochrome icons set that only uses
the colours white and black, and that does not have too much detail in
the icons. The icon set should be in SVG format so that it is scalable to
extreme sizes.

If the KDE Artists agree that maybe the Flat icon could easiliy be changed
into a true monochrome one for accessibility purposes, then it might be a
good idea to contact the author and ask whether s/he would be willing to
contribute to KDE by making this icon set monochrome.

[...]
> > * Create a meta theme for high contrast and low contrast
> > * Fix a lot of bugs that make KDE difficult to use for people with
> > low vision
>
> Sure. Having a list of  the bugs would be handy. Some of them could be
> really easy to fix, if known.

Thanks. I will post a detailed list of problems next week, because I will
be away for a couple of days.

Olaf

- --
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
KDEAP co-maintainer, maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org