[Kde-accessibility] Icon effect for monochrome icons

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Thu Nov 25 14:57:10 CET 2004

Hello,

During akademy I have experimented with some algorithms that produce
monochrome icons from standard (colored) icons. One of the algorithms
produces quite acceptable results, and so I have now produced patches for
kdelibs and kdebase that add this icon effect to the list of standard icon
sets.

Basically the algorithm works as follows: It first calculates an average
brightness of the icon. In a second step everything darker than the
average gets painted in the foreground color and everything lighter than
the average gets painted in the background color.

In order to define the foreground and background color I have decided to
produce two versions of the patch (and I would like to hear some feedback
about which version is better suited for the inclusion in KDE 3.4):

The first version (kdelibs.diff and kdebase.diff) uses the color defined
with the icon effect as the foreground color and the standard background
color from the color scheme as the background color. This has the
disadvantage that it adds a dependency between the color scheme and the
icon theme (everytime when the color scheme changes the icons need to be
re-loaded). The current version of this patch does simply ignore this
additional dependency.

The second version (kdelibs2.diff and kdebase2.diff) adds an additional
second color to the icon effect, so that both colors are defined with the
icon effect. This has the advantage that it does not add a dependency
between the color scheme and the icon theme, but it also requires some
more changes to the API (i.e., the second color needs to be added).

A problem that remains with both versions is that the selected icons are
calculated by applying some standard icon effect to the icon (The icon is
overlaid with the color for the selected background). While this is ok in
most situations it is not ideal for high contrast icons (where you might
want to have full control of the resulting colors). However, in order to
change this we would need to apply some big changes to both the algorithms
that load the icons and to the kdecore API, so that this is not feasible
for KDE 3.4.

In either case this icon effect does not replace the need for a high
contrast icon theme that is useable for low-vision users. It rather is
intended to both colorize such a high contrast icon theme in colors that
match the color theme and for "incorporating" icons that are missing in
the high contrast icon theme (and otherwise would be painted as they are
with all colors).

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package