[Kde-accessibility] RE: Monochrome Icons...

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Nov 22 19:41:11 CET 2004

[Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente, Montag, 22. November 2004 13:19]
> What about especific color blindness schemes? Perhaps Blue-Yellow and
> Red-Green blindness? Any other?

Gunnar plans to add an icon effect that colours the icons in the current
foreground and background colours.

> It would also be nice to have color schemes for Windows and widgets
> too.

I agree.

We already have colour schemes for black-on-white, white-on-black and
yellow-on-blue in KDE, but it is necessary to correct these to really fit
all needs of partially sighted people. Currently we need more feedback on
those. It would also be nice if we could add a low-contrast colour
scheme. I will try to contact some people with knowledge in this area.

Once we have all the pieces together, we can define a meta-theme that sets
colour scheme, style, window style, icons, icon effect and font size.

There are still some questions left about how to best deal with the great
amount of applications that use custom colours. There are also a lot of
problems in KDE with respect to light-on-dark colour schemes. I promised
to send a detailed list to this list. Sorry for the delay. I am working
on this now.

There is a style in kdenonbeta/style-workshop/axes/ which aims at drawing
all widgets in such a way that they perfectly work with very big font
sizes and light-on-dark colour schemes, but it seems Max has stopped
working on this. We will need to find a new developer for this.

Olaf