[Kde-accessibility] SSML and the GPL

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 1 10:51:38 CET 2004

As far as I can see it's OK now.  In the past, before the RF issues were
clarified (and especially during the w3c's flirtation with
"non-discriminatory" licenses), there were concerns.

When I wrote my email about SSML/XML licensing issues, my intent was
basically "we should make sure we're using a GPL license here"; my
recollection that of the several XML/speech variants, some had serious
issues.  I now recall that SSML is the one that we (GNOME folks) decided
was OK at the time.  I think we've done our basic homework on SSML
licensing issues now, and it does look OK to me too (IANAL of course).
So barring getting an actual lawyer to review[1], I think we can agree
on SSML as the XML markup flavor[2] and more on.

- Bill

[1] pardon the pun
[2] we may consider whether it's feasible to support the whole spec, or
just a subset, for our API, and how to deal with engines that provide
incomplete support.