[Kde-accessibility] Re: Feedback on qatkbridge snapshot

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Sun Mar 14 16:14:17 CET 2004

Hi,

olaf at amen-online.de wrote:
> I have now at last found the time to test your qatkbridge snatshot.
> Sorry for the delay, I am currently very busy with my studies and it
> took me a while to install AT-SPI, at-poke and Gok.
>
> For Qt applications, the bridge works fine with at-poke, apart from the
> fact that no actions are available. I guess this is because the actions
> have not been implemented or not been backported?

that's correct, the infrastructure is there but I haven't implemented it
yet.

> In Gok, none of the Qt applications was available. I guess this is
> because the actions are missing.
>
> Most KDE applications didn't show up in the bridge other than having an
> "unnamed" entry with one single "unnamed" object. KControl, however, was
> showing a number of entries.

yes, my stupidity. In Qt 4, we'll have an "application" toplevel
accessible object, which should solve those problems. For Qt 3.3,
currently only simple applications with one single mainwindow are
supported. The trick is to make the Qt 3.3 patch smarter.

> Would it make sense to start writing QAccessibile objects for the
> widgets in KMouth. I guess there will be a lot of changes for Qt 4.0, so
> we will have to wiat until the first beta?

I'd rather vote for "wait for Qt 4" since we can make widgets accessible
in a clean way rather than adding crude hacks and workarounds to prevent
breaking binary compatibility.

> i am also wondering how much work it would be to wrinte QAccessibile
> objects for all widgets in KDE. Do you think we can persuade most KDE
> developers to write QAccessible objects for all widgets they maintain?
> Would it realistic to make this a policy?

A widget that is not accessible should be treated just like a bug,
meaning that someone has to step up and fix it. I think everyone
realizes the importance of accessibility, so we won't have to fight to
make widgets accessible. I'm planning to give a tutorial about
accessibility and KDE at the next KDE conference so that people can
write new KDE 4.x stuff "accessibility-friendly".

Best regards,
Harald

Best regards,
Harald