[Kde-accessibility] Re: KDE screen resolution policy

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Jan 2 14:13:33 CET 2004

Hi, Happy New Year everyone (and an early Happy New Year to those in
China :-)

I'd like to comment on the 640x400 accessibility issue.  I agree that
this is desirable for
accessibility, but since 640x480 is getting less and less common,
perhaps 800x600 is
a better target for now.  A 'virtual' 800x600 (with a physical 640x480),
which I believe
XFree supports now, may be a good compromise, since it allows
applications to write
to a somewhat bigger virtual area in which the 640x480 area is panned.

What's possibly even more important is support for larger fonts; 12
point isn't usually
big enough for users with vison difficulties, unless fullscreen
magnification is available
(KMag can't do that yet, and even gnome-mag/gnopernicus has a hard time
unless you
have two framebuffers).

I think 18 to 20 point fonts are a reasonable target.  This will
(especially in conjunction
with 800x600 displays) probably be harder to accommodate than just
640x480, but it's
really important.  I would argue that working well with such large fonts
is actually more
critical to accessibility than working with a limited screen resolution.

There's no reason why this is impossible, but it requires careful design
of widget sets
and user interfaces.

Best regards,

Bill