[Kde-accessibility] New applications for KDE Accessibility 3.4

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Dec 10 12:26:08 CET 2004

Hi!

On the kde-accessibility mailing list, we agreed on importing an icon
theme and three applications into KDE CVS for KDE 3.4. Most of these
would go into kdeaccessibility, but some might be better placed in
kdelibs or kdeaddons, and we would be happy to have advice on this.

Sorry for the long mail and for crossposting, but in this case it was
necessary since this is highly relevant to both lists.

If there are no objections in the coming days, I will ask the authors to
do the move until end of next week.

1. Monochrome icons: This is important for partially sighted people that
need high contrast colour settings. Using Gunnar's recently commited icon
effect, they can be coloured in the current foreground and background
colours if we define the appropriate meta-themes. (Which includes
changing the meta-theme kcm to also store icon effects.)
I suggest importing it into kdelibs/pics/, to be in the same module as all
other settings for partially sighted people, but kdeaccessibilitry is
also an option.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=18317

2. kdenonbeta/kbstateapplet: This is a small applet that shows the state
of the all modifier keys. Apart from being important for people who use
accessibility features like stick keys, this is handy if your keyboard
does not show the state of caps lock. (module kdeaccessibility)

3. kdenonbeta/kttsd: A speech synthesis framework for KDE. It is already
optionally supported by KMouth; having it in kdeaccessibility simplifies
the code. It has become quite stable now, and a release will be announced
on Sunday. (module kdeaccessibility)

kdenonbeta/kttsd/app-plugins/ contains plugins for konqueror, katepart and
kate (support for kpdf is also planned). These have a build dependency on
kdebase and a runtime dependency on kttsd (or maybe KSayIt in future,
depending on usability discussions). I suggest to move them to kdebase,
since they are very small and the code can easily be changed to only show
the menu item if kttsd is installed. Another option would be kdeaddons,
of course.

kdenonbeta/kttsd/libkttsd/ has some very small files for sending DCOP
messages to kttsd. Since there is no build dependency on kttsd, it could
either go into kdelibs to make kttsd support for KDE applications easier,
or into kdeaccessibility.

4. KSayIt: This is a frontend for reading out longer texts. It interface
is different from KMouth, which is focussing on smaller messages, so we
would not have real duplication here. It contains a front end for kttsd
functionality to navigate through a text, which is important to make this
usable to end-users. KSayIt supports kttsd; having it in KDE CVS will
again simplify code. (module kdeaccessibility)

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project