[Kde-accessibility] Help for people with sight problems

Anders Bruun Olsen anders at bruun-olsen.net
Wed Dec 8 21:47:36 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:27:36PM +0100, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> At the moment we are writing several improvements for people with low
> vision, so we are very interested in all other problems that you
> encounter.

At the moment, I think the only problem is locating where on the screen
the pointer is. She doesn't use any special colors or particularly large
fonts afaik. Her problem is that the pointer moving around by it self is
does not give a big enough effect that her eyes can see the movement (or
something to that account).
A feature she used in OS/2 that helped her alot was turning on a
"pointer-tail". When the pointer is dragged across the screen a series
of dots is left on the screen for about a second. It looks a bit like
the pointer has a tail that disappears into it self quickly. This gives
an effect big enough for her to spot the pointer.
I am pretty sure this was recommended for early laptop screens as well,
because the refresh-rate was so low that it was difficult even for
normal-sighted people to see the pointer moving around.
So that might be another idea to implement. Not sure how difficult it
would be though.
Just to clarify, the feature I am talking about would not require any
keys to be pressed, it would be an on/off thing in the kcontrol for
mouse (or something like that). Although thinking about it, it might
make sense to make it possible to give the pointer a drag-tail only when
pressing a certain key?

Not sure about this, it just occurred to me.

--
Anders
PGPKey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8BFECB41