[Kde-accessibility] Nice KTTS, but without TTS.

Robert Vogl voglrobe at web.de
Fri Aug 6 16:46:51 CEST 2004

Hi there,

the subject may be provoking, but it is based on my experience with two
popular TTS systems under Linux. One is MBrola, the other Festival.

Both are NOT part of SuSE Linux, one of the most popular distributions. I
dont't know how the situation is with other distributions Fedorea, Debian or
whatever. Sure, we have the option to get MBrola or Festival from the
internet. But the installation of these packages, even to know which packages
you will need, is really a mess and in case of Festival impossible if you
want to keep your system consitent (caused by an infinite chain of
dependencies of "strstream.h"). Moreover, the typical end-user will see no
reason why he (or she) should have to install a developer environment,
learning C and Scheme, just to get his computer speaking.

What I would like to express is that we will have a nice TTS framework for KDE
in the near future but nobody, except skilled computer scientists, would
benefit from it, i.e. it is simply a useless toy.

I think the  Accessibility-Group should start activities to encourage the
authors of various TTS systems and/or the Distribution maintainers to provide
the end-user with easy-to-install packages (and easy to configure, of
course!). How did the Gnome people solved that problem?

Greetings,

--
Robert Vogl
voglrobe at web.de