[Kde-accessibility] KDE Text-to-speech API 1.0 Draft 1

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 8 00:50:32 CEST 2004

Gary Cramblitt wrote:

>I did take a look at the Gnome Speech API, with the intention of designing a
>compatible KDE API.  However, IMHO, this was not practical because of GSAPI's
>heavy reliance on CORBA, and overly-complex interface.

I must say that I am very disappointed to see the degree of divergence
from gnome speech's APIs here; I think this will hurt us in the long run.

GSAPI's CORBA "dependence" is really a non-issue here; the IDL APIs for
gnome-speech are not bound to any particular implementation, and not
bound to CORBA.  And the GSAPI interface is simpler than what you
propose for kttsd.

What's important is a good mapping one-to-one between client APIs,
regardless of the implementation details.  The KTTSD proposal provides a
very different sort of speech service, which I think is a shame.  There
is no reason IMO why a KTTSD client API that uses DCOP can't map better
onto what GNOME uses, or vice-versa.  And I believe that KDE will need
to solve the same sorts of problems for its speech clients which
gnome-speech currently solves.

So yes, I think we should revisit this immediately before putting code
into CVS.  I will provide more detail on the areas of difference tomorrow.

best regards,

Bill