[Kde-accessibility] Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Free StandardsGroupAccessibility Workgroup

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 10 00:10:12 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 18:57, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just out of curiosity, is there a list somewhere of what else can pose
> problems?  I ask b/c the way I see it there are 4 standard aspects of
> interacting with a computer - viewing the display and hearing the speakers (the
> computer's output) and using the keyboard and mouse (the computer's input).  If
> someone can see the display "as intended", hear the speakers "as intended", and
> use the mouse / keyboard "as intended", then they can use the computer "as
> intended" and it is not "inaccessible" to them.

In practice there's a wide range of abilities in hearing, vision, etc.,
even some people who don't consider themselves disabled have trouble
understanding some computer audio or seeing small text, etc.  To take
another example, is RSI which makes mouse use difficult or painful a
disability?

There's a little info (but really not nearly enough) on the GNOME
Accessibility site, for instance:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/access-def.html
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/disability-types.html

and explanation of what 'Assistive Technologies' are:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/AT/

(I really need to keep those pages more up-to-date!)
but really I bet googling for awhile would get you lots more information
and different viewpoints.

regards

Bill