[Kde-accessibility] Re: mmb pasting in Konqueror

Datschge datschge at gmx.de
Sat May 17 12:47:16 CEST 2003

Am Samstag 17 Mai 2003 09:20 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Saturday 17 May 2003 11:58, Datschge wrote:
> > (1)
> >
> > > mmb click loading the URL in the clipboard or searching for a non-URL
> > > string in the clipboard is non-obvious and unintuitive
> >
> > Wrong, it's fully consistent with the globally standardized "mmb click"
> > == "clipboard paste" behavior.
>
> I disagree. It doesn't paste anything, it loads another page.

I disagree. It does indeed paste, it pastes the selection buffer to the Kurl
interpreter which then decides which kioslave to use, and, if none fitting is
found, sending the selection buffer to google instead. Only then the actual

> > (2)
> >
> > > html pages are read-only, it makes no sense that pasting on them
> > > changes them
> >
> > What you do by mmb paste is the same as when clicking on a link: you
> > request another page. Neither of them involves "changing a read-only
> > page".
>
> I diagree. There is a rather big difference between "opening a link in
> another window" (Which is what mmb on a link does) and "opening the url in
> the selection buffer in the current window". The former is an action that
> is taken usually with the intention to preserve the contents of the current
> window while the latter replace the contents of the current window.

I agree, this is exactly the reason why I suggested near the end of my mail:
"Optionally allow mmb url paste to be opened in a new tab/window (and make
that the default)."

Besides, if we really want to continue the nit-picking here: The mmb click on
a link to open it in a new window/tab is actually the feature foreign to KDE,
not mmb paste, but nobody is suggesting anymore to remove that feature.

> > > this feature is non standard, highly unexpeted, dangerous, utterly
> > > confusing, work loosing, some websites don't let you go back
> >
> > It's standard mmb paste behavior and as such easy to understand for
> > everyone who knows the standard mmb paste behavior.
>
> Although it is certainly standard behavior for webbrowsers on Unix, I don't
> think it can be described as the standard mmb paste behavior. Standard mmb
> paste behavior inserts text at the point of the mmb click, this feature
> doesn't.

It actually does as pointed out in (1) above. The only different from say
clearing the location bar, mmb pasting there and starting the URL processing
there manually is that mmb paste within the khtml view directly invoices the
URL processing of the selection buffer string.

Regards, Datschge