[Kde-accessibility] Replt-To address

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:26:55 +0100

[Pupeno]
> It is send to the sender for security porpouses because sending to the
> list could lead to a loop and some other problems.
> I personaly disagree with this, other lists (kde-deve, kde-core-devel,
> etc) have reply to the list and I don't see any problem there,

Oh, I didn't know that. Obviously kde-devel has some protection in place=20
to prevent these loops from happening, so this strong argument against=20
list-reply-to falls down.

> and even when I can send to all and it will send to the mailing list, I
> find it uncofortable, specially when I get two mails for every reply.

Well, I'm not really sure now what I find most convinient.

The advantage of having no reply-to is that you have the choice:

R =3D Reply to author
L =3D Reply to list
A =3D Reply to all (including list)

I always use "L", for it works like a normal reply in all KMail folders=20
that are not attributed to a mailing list. Unfortunately, this only works=
=20
if you automatically filter all mails from a mailing list to a folder=20
where you have the list address specified.

With the reply-to set to the list, we only have two options:

R/L =3D reply to list
A =3D Reply to all (including list)

This means that you have more work if you wish to reply only to the=20
author, but on the other hand there will be fewer "mistakes" when wishing=
=20
to reply to the list and it works without having KMail configured a=20
special way.

> But well, I'm not the ruller here.

Well, since mail.kde.org seems to use an advanced mailing list software=20
that avoids the risks of loops in case of autoresponder mails, I don't=20
really mind either way.

JP, if you wish to change this, just go ahead.

Olaf.

- --=20
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
KDEAP co-maintainer, maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org