[Kde-accessibility] XML... I think

Pupeno pupeno@kde.org
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:05:10 -0500

I was thinking at how kttsd (a.k.a.: Proklam) will implement xml and I thin=
k=20
Sable will be my choice, from http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/sable/:
  The Centre for Speech Technology Research
  University of Edinburgh=20

  The Sable Consortium

  Text-to-speech synthesizers must process text, and therefore require some=
=20
knowledge of text structure. While many TTS systems allow for user control =
by=20
means of ad hoc escape sequences, there remains to date no adequate and=20
generally agreed upon system-independent standard for marking up text for t=
he=20
purposes of synthesis.

  Sable is a recently formed consortium aimed at providing a single standar=
d=20
for speech synthesis markup. The consortium's principle aim is to merge the=
=20
two existing proposed standard, namely STML developed by Bell Labs and=20
Edinburgh, and JSML, developed by Sun.

  The present groups that are actively involved, or who have expressed an=20
interest in this project include:

  Edinburgh University
  Bell Laboratories
  British Telecom
  AT&T
  Sun Microsystems
  Carnegie Mellon University

and the specification:=20
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/sable/sable_spec2.html
The good thing is that Festival is already starting to implement Sable and =
I=20
think Proklam implementation would be limited to:
Parsing the xml to find the languages tag, and divide the text so each=20
language is sent to the the plug in where it belongs the same way tha sayin=
g=20
functions would have done independtly. Proklam may check xml for well=20
formeness (did I invent a word), I don't think it would check for validity=
=20
soon. XML parsing will be automatic as long as it's non-intrusive (and I=20
think it is) for non xml texts.
One question, for the plug ins that doesn't support XML, should Proklam cle=
an=20
the message (some feedback about the xml support should be get for this) or=
=20
the plug in should take care of it ?
Thanks.
=2D --=20
Pupeno: pupeno@kde.org
KDE Accessibility co-maintainer
http://accessibility.kde.org
=2D ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=3Ddonar