[Kde-accessibility] Re: Speaker plug-ins

George Russell george.russell@clara.net
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:39:20 +0000

On Sunday 05 January 2003 9:35 pm, you wrote:

> I have very little programming experience, but I would like to try to add
> support for Pupeno's new KDE text to speach deamon to the speaker
> plug-ins. If Pupeno and Gunnar (the kdeaccessibility module maintainers)
> decide to release a version of kdeaccessibility for KDE 3.0 / KDE 3.1,
> then I will also add a way to specify the tts command.
> In case I fail with these simple tasks, you would probably have to do it
> yourself, but I am quite optimistic, as I can copy a lot of code from
> KMouth.

The code should be eaily modified to use whatever new API is exposed by the
daemon. I think only a single line of code need be changed - instead of
passing a QString as an argument to an exteral process via the commandline
and KProcess, use the new API and pass it the QString.

The plugins themselves are not configurable - they should just use whatever
the daemon uses i.e. should be insulated through the daemon form the vagaries
of the TTS system installed.

I did not see the API documentation for interacting with the daemon, so I
don't know exactly what changes are needed.

> Well, anyway, I would really appreciate it if you would move the Speaker
> plug-ins top CVS, so I could contribute your program there.

Feel free to import the last released version for KDE 3.

The Kate plugin has not been updated since KDE 2.x, and I don't know if the
API for kate plugins has changed or not.

George Russell
--
  7:33pm  up 3 days,  5:28,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00