[Kde-accessibility] Re: KDE screen resolution policy

ojschmidt at kde.org ojschmidt at kde.org
Sun Dec 28 13:34:01 CET 2003

Gunnar Schmi Dt <gunnar at schmi-dt.de> schrieb am 28.12.2003, 13:07:34:
> Having scrollbars at the windows is indeed necessary. Each window has a
> smallest size depending on its contents and settings like the widget
> style, font sizes etc. (see further down). If this size is biggerthan
> your screen you currently cannot handle all window contents without tricks
> (like moving the window).

This is really an important thing for people with low vision. Even on my
800x600 laptop screen, I sometimes have this problem with big KDE or Qt
windows.

We really need to make sure that windows work with small resolutions
like 640x400 and a reasonable font size like 12 pt. There might be cases
where this is difficult, but even then the layout must be made usable on
small screens by providing scrollbars.

The layout should be designed such that on small screens, the windows
are rather too high than too wide, size vertical scrollbars have better
usability than horizontal ones. But the most important thing is that
scrollbars are available at all, which currently is not the case for
oversized windows. I guess these scrollbars are best added within Qt.

Harald, is something like this planed for Qt 3.3? This would make a nice
accessibility improvement in addition to the ATK bridge.

Olaf