[Kde-accessibility] Re: [g_a-devel] Proposed implementation agnostic GNOME Speech API.

Rich Burridge Rich.Burridge at Sun.COM
Sat Dec 13 19:21:25 CET 2003

Hi Olaf,

> Do you have the API somewhere documented?

Not at the moment. I spend a ridiculous amount of time doing the
documentation for the GSAPI project in one form, just to redo the
whole thing again in gtk+ format afterwards. I decided to leave
the documentation to last this time. The best approach would be
to look at the test application in the test-capi directory (see
second attachment to the bug).

But...

> I am currently playing a bit with abandoned kttsd code, a KDE=20
> text-to-speech framework in pre-alpha state, so it might make sense if I=20
> have a look at your implementation agnostic API to see whether it would=20
> be reusable. This might make later effords to write a bridge easier.

The existing implementation uses Bonobo/ORBit2 which I don't think is
going to fly in the KDE world.I intend to now prototype whether it's
possible to create a second implementation that uses D-BUS instead
which hopefully has a better chance of bridging the two desktops.

Stat tuned. It won't be quick as I have too many other things on my plate.
If you'd like to help, please let me know.

Thanks.