[Kde-accessibility] Re: kdeaccessibility module as official part of KDE

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Sun Aug 31 00:33:23 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Friday 29 August 2003 23:10, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2003 17:13, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> > [...]
> > Additionally I am not sure if we want to have these wide borders added to
> > all decoration styles (we are talking here about borders up to 30 or 40
> > pixels wide).
>
> 30 - 40 pixel border size is a lot. But if that is needed, that's all
> right.

In the meantime I had some mail exchange with someone from the Center for
Assistive Technology & Environmental Access. Among other things we talked
about the upper width limit for the window borders. According to these mails
we need to allow for window borders up to 30 pixels.

> > The only decoration style that currently allows to change the border
> > width is the CDE decoration style from kdeartwork, but there title bar
> > buttons might not be easy to read for people with visual impairments.
> > Other decoration styles that have a clear separation between the border
> > and the contents of the window (which is needed when we use wide borders)
> > are KDE2, Keramik, Laptop and Quarts, so if we decide to make changes to
> > these five decoration styles I would be happy.
>
> I have developed a variation of B2, and also that can change the border
> width, currently I set an arbitrary maximum of 10 pixels.
> Check it out at kde-look.org
>
> http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6136

That sounds interesting. Can you change the maximum width to 30 pixels? That
would help certain handicapped users.

> I'd be glad if it were included in KDE, either in kde-artwork or as a
> replacement for the current B2 code. I asked Lubos Lunak, some time ago,
> and he said I should ask here first. I am asking now - is it ok to add it,
> and where?

IMHO this style should be included as a replacement of B2 (if no other
developer complains about that, else in kde-artwork).

> For the title bar button of the CDE style, they could be drawn black on
> white the way the Irix window manager did - it would improve the CDE look
> also, in my opinion. If nobody else volunteers, I'd like to try to make
> these changes to the CDE client.

Possibly with a check box for the style of the title bar buttons? Good idea, I
vote for doing it.

> > An other question is whether we allow the user to specify at which sides
> > of the window he wants to have those wide borders (as those wide borders
> > take screen space, the user might want to have the resize-borders only
> > e.g. at the left and at the bottom of a window).
>
> Or at the bottom only, like in the next-step style? Is'nt that enough,
> since you can resize the window anyhow?

Well, when looking once again into the window decoration styles I see some
ones that have (visible) borders only at the bottom. If we allow that these
to have wide borders, then a configuration for borders to be shown only at
certain sides of the window is not necessary.

Let me resume the discussion so far:
The question is whether we add the ability to specify the border width (from a
decoration-style dependent minimum width up to 30 pixels) or if we add an
extra style for that to kdeaccessibility.

My impression is that most people favor adding the wide border option to the
existing decoration styles.

If there are no objections I will update the feature plan tomorrow to reflect
these changes. Which decoration styles do you suggest for the wide border
option? (I would suggest B2, CDE, KDE2, Keramik, KStep, Laptop, Quarts, and
RiscOS)

Gunnar Schmi Dt
- --
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package
http://accessibility.kde.org/