[Kde-accessibility] Proklam and KMouth

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:38:38 +0200

Hi Pupeno,

you have convinced me that the plug-in mechanisms might be the best way t=
o=20
be dealing with interoperability issues in Proklam.

> > Do you know whether the core developers would have objections to
> > using these libraries if there are good reasons for using them?
>
> I don't think they'll have any objections... but then we have the
> problem of the definition of 'good resons' ;)

Well, interoperability of Proklam and gnome-speech is not enough of a=20
reason. Support for Braille devices would be a good reason, but I don't=20
see anyone working on this issue, so you should just ignore this idea.

> Am I wrong to think that there might be, in te future a KDE
> Accessibility API for KDE apps ?

Writing new accessibility framework for Qt/KDE or integrating support for=
=20
AT-SPI into Qt/KDE would both be huge tasks which are not likely to be=20
started in the near future. (Though I still have hope.)

> I don't understand why a plug in is not a general solution and how a
> general solution would be.

=46rom what you wrote, I understood that the gnome-speech plug-in should =
be=20
optional. This means that if I where to start KMouth on a computer=20
configured for Gnome, it would not work until I downloaded and installed=20
(and maybe configured) the optional compatibility plug-in.

But you could call this a distribution issue. All Proklam can do about=20
this is using an installed gnome-speech plug-in by default if no other=20
plug-ins are installed and configured.

Olaf.

--=20
Meine Internetseiten: