[Kde-accessibility] Proklam and KMouth

Pupeno pupeno@pupeno.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:35:50 -0400

On Monday 23 September 2002 11:08, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I believe that Peter's suggestion was more along the lines of using
> gnome-speech within KMouth.  Gnome-speech is a speech service API
> suitable for use with multiple voices and speech engines, with currently
> available drivers for FreeTTS, Festival, and ViaVoice/Eloquence.
> Drivers for other text-to-speech engines and hardware devices are
> anticipated.
>
> If you prefer not to use gnome-speech's implementation directly, I would
> still urge you and/or Proklam to use its APIs, which are defined in IDL;
> this would ensure that the systems would interoperate correctly with
> each other.
> I believe that having a Proklam back-end for gnome-speech would make
> more sense than vice-versa, since gnome-speech is a cross-process API
> which is currently exported vi CORBA.
When KDE made the biggest jump of all... from KDE 1.0 to KDE 2.0 (well, we=
=20
could say that from KDE 0.0 (nonexistance) to KDE 1.0 there was a bigger=20
jump), one of the things in questions where the use of CORBA, I wasn't=20
arround KDE development in that time but I think it was a hard desition to=
=20
make... continue to use Corba being compatible with the rest of the world, =
or=20
develop a particular protocol, beining incompatible, but developing a bette=
r=20
desktop.
They choosed the second option and dcop was developed, dcop standands for=20
Desktop COmunication Protocol and it's designed to easy the comunication=20
between applications. So, corba was droped and not used any longer. Of=20
course, a KDE application can still use Corba, but a KDE service should not=
=20
office the service with Corba, but with DCOP.
That's why I'm building Proklam, with a DCOP interface despite that Gnome m=
ay=20
provide the same solution with a Corba interface. But as sending dcop=20
messages is not friendly enough, I think, an API class called KSpeech will =
be=20
provided inside kdelibs somewhere to make it even easier.
So, to use Prokla, you won't have to know anything about Corba (which I don=
't=20
know), or DCOP (which I didn't know untill I started Proklam)... just=20
instantiate KSpeech and use it.

DCOP is not a KDE only system and can be used by any other desktop envirome=
nt=20
or anything needing a comunication system, but I think that the only one=20
using it is KDE and it will remain that way for a while I thik.
Thank you.
=2D --=20
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com
=2D ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,=20
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=3Ddonar