[Kde-accessibility] Proklam and KMouth

Pupeno pupeno@pupeno.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:26:47 -0400

On Saturday 21 September 2002 14:45, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> I am writing a project called KMouth, which enables persons that cannot
> speak to let their computer speak, e.g. mutal people or people who have
> lost their voice (like my mother, who cannot control her tongue).
An intresting project, something like what Stephen Hawking uses except that=
=20
Hawking case is more challenger as he has only three movable fingers to=20
control the system.

> From the messages on the mailing lists, I have understood that Proklam do=
es
> not support more than one text-to-speech system at a time. However there
You're right.

> are some multi-lingual text-to-speech systems (e.g., Festival --- if what=
> have heard is correct). What I have not yet found is information whether
> these languages can be specified when letting a text be spoken.
As you know Proklam is plug in based, so it is up to the plug in to select=
=20
language/voice/etc and the core doesn't provide an optiont to select in whi=
ch=20
language to speak.

> An other issue is that you might need to use more than one tts-system in
> order to provide all languages of your interest (for example English and
> German for my mother). So I have basically two options:
>
> Either I have to implement my own GUI for a multilingual text-to-speach
> system that uses a number of simple shell scripts (one for each language),
> or I have to find a mechanism to switch the language within Proklam. Of
> course I would prefer the latter, as I do not wish to duplicate
> functionality of Proklam.
No way... we won't duplicate any effors.

> Also, as I am currently using hadifax (in combination with mbrola) as a
> German tts system, I think about helping to write a Proklam module for
> hadihax.
Currently I'm stuck in Proklam because of Festival and I'm going to try oth=
er=20
alternatives althoug I'd like to have Festival working.
I think I have not to say that any other developer is welcome at Proklam, a=
nd=20
users of Proklam are welcome too.
I don't know how directly I asked but I wanted people to tell me their need=
s=20
in Proklam, as nobody answered I designed it from what I new and thought.
If Festival was working, Proklam would be already speaking, but I don't hav=
e=20
any problem in making a complete redising I would be very glad to redisign =
it=20
with you so it would achive your needs.
Any other one intrested in Proklam (not in development, but in using it fro=
m=20
other applications) is welcome to the discuttion.
My idea is to make it as versatile as posible so every application in KDE o=
r=20
even outside KDE (yeah, I'm dreaming ;), so, let's go!
Carpe diem!
=2D --=20
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com
=2D ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,=20
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=3Ddonar