[Kde-accessibility] Proklam ready!

Pupeno pupeno@pupeno.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 09:08:44 -0500

Hello,
Recently I've been working a lot in Proklam latly, for those who don't know
what it is, it is a text to speech plug in based dcop service and almost all
the features for Proklam's core are implemented. The main work now is for
plug ins (Festival plug ins ready, it compiles, but it doesn't work, I don't
know why, Festival people doesn't know either; Command plug in is working
(thanks Gunnar), and Festival Client/Server will be my next task).
So I would like to move Proklam to the main KDE tree but I don't know where it
should go and what are the requisites to put it there. I think that moving it
there will make other people test it and report bugs and that will help me
developing it.
Proklam contains a set of diferent things and I will do some refactoring, so,
knowing where it should go will help me doing the refactory.
Proklam has:
- - A library, libproklam by now, there's no much in this library.
- - A binary, proklam this is the main program, the one who does the magic.
- - Plug ins, four plug ins by now (two finished, one working :( that are
dynamically loaded by proklam or kmcproklam.
- - A kcmodule, proklam (too), this is for configuring proklam.
- - A class (not implemented yet), KSpeech, this class is to help other
developers use Proklam without having to send dcop messages, KSpeech will do
it for them.
About the refactoring that I want to do:
Basically, I want to take the name Proklam out of it. I think this should be
an integral part of KDE and having the configuration of the Text To Speech
Dcop Service in a file named proklamrc and having to run proklam to get it,
etc, etc is not intuitive and makes it like a 'side package'.
Of course, if Proklam will not be an integral part of KDE, I should go on
naming it Proklam and be sure it has the proper distribution.
If I do the refactoring I want to do it more or less, this way:
Proklam itself will be called ttsds, Text To Speech Dcop Service and the
library, libttsds. The plug in, each one will have it's own name of course,
but they won't be of type Proklam plugin but ttsds plug in.
The kcmproklam will be called just tts (running kcmshell tts will lunch the
tts configuration as kcmshell mouse would lunch the mouse configuration).
I would like to know what you think about it and I'd like to get any comment
in what should I do (does it need to pass some kind of 'tests' to be moved
from kdenonbeta ?), where it should go, etc, etc.
I would like to get this infor so I'll start the refactoring in kdenonbeta
focusing in where it will go at the end.
Thank you.
- --
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com
- ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=donar

PS: This will allow a little change to KControl. Currently there's a group
Regional and Accessiblity with an item called Accessibility inside. I will
propouse Accessibility to be a separated group with Bell, Keyboard (currently
only one module) and Text To Speech. I think it means more sense and I think
more accessibility things will come.