[Kde-accessibility] Our future

Pupeno pupeno@pupeno.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:43:34 -0500

After some more long explanations from Bill and some long discutions with
Olaf, we'll get to see the big picture of how everything works and how things
are going to be in the Qt/KDE word.
And here I'm about to explain it (there will be a page with this once we agree
and maybe a dot article).

What we decided is going for the short path as we need the best solution
reusing everything that is done.
So, we decided to reuse QAccessible and family, extending it as needed and the
whole ATK/AT-SPI system.
To do this, we'll create QATK. QATK will be a bridge from QAccessible to ATK.
The rest of KDE will be modified to export whatever is need for QAccessible
(to be honest, I'm still navigating and understanding qt sources).
This lead us to three main tasks:
- - Qt: Creation and extention of QAccessible and family, it would be like
porting qaccessible_win32.cpp into qaccessible_unix.cpp but it won't be that
easy. qaccessible_win32.cpp depends on Win32, but that's not a problem. But
for qaccessible_unix.cpp we cannot say it simple will depend on Unix, it will
depend on ATK + AT-SPI + CORBA which leads to glib, Gnome and I don't think
Trolltech would accept this (Volker ?). So, I thought to do it plug in based.
So QATK would be a plug in. This plug in will depend on Qt and on glib and
will be developed outside Qt and will be loaded by qt if configured to do so
and available. Is this ok Volker ? I even thought that when this is done, the
Win32 Accessibility functions could be a plug in too to the same system.
Knowledge of Qt internal is needed here.

KDE: The plug ins (Olaf, this is just preliminare, I still have to see how it
works) and the modifications to the K Widgets have to be made. Knowledge of
KDE internal is needed here.

QATK: A plug in that will wrap QAccessible functions to ATK functions and
back. Knowledge of Qt (and QAccessible) and GTK (and ATK) is needed here.

I'll work organizing, mantaining (as it's my tax acording to what we talked)
and I hope to get help from the group of developers that best know each of
the things specified.

This is just a first draft of the idea that should get to a whole guide in
week I hope, for us and for others.
Questions, comments, etc are welcome.
Thank you.
- --
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com
- ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=donar

PS: Can anybody explain me this:
struct QAccessibleFactoryInterface : public QAccessible, public
QFeatureListInterface
{
    virtual QRESULT createAccessibleInterface( const QString &, QObject *,
QAccessibleInterface** ) = 0;
};

A struct with inheritance ? in qt-copy/src/kernel/qaccessible.h:256 (Q_EXPORT
turns into nothing in this case)