[Kde-accessibility] my crazy thoughts

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:15:46 +0100

[Gunnar Schmi Dt]
> [Olaf]
> > Gunnar's and my idea was to use DCOP, so the bridge could be a DCOP
> > service.
>
> Well, that was an idea before the meeting on IRC. I thought there we
> had at least decided to do the bridging within each KDE application
> (either as a pard of the KDE-core-libraries, as a library each
> application has to include or as a library that can be loaded
> dynamically).

Well, it was not really an agreement. Bill pointed out that this approach=
=20
is possible, and then we concluded that we will discuss the details on=20
the list.

We did not really present our approach in detail, so nobody could agree o=
r=20
disagree on it.

The decision was just that there will be some kind of ATK or AT-SPI=20
bridge.

> I think we need to ask Trolltech to extend their
> QAccessible-architecture to something similar to the ATK-API. Then we
> can implement either of three bridging approaches:
> 1) QAccessible <-> ATK <-> AT-SPI
> 2) QAccessible <-> AT-SPI
> 3) QAccessible <-> DCOP/MCOP-AT-SPI <-> AT-SPI

True. If TrollTech does not do this, then we are back to the original DCO=
P=20
service idea anyway.

> The first two approaches would add some dependencies on GNOME libraries
> or on CORBA.

If only specific accessibility applications for KDE need to depend on=20
glibs, that should be OK, put having a dependency for all of KDE is very=20
unlike to find a majority among kde-core developers... ;-)

> The third approach would put all dependencies into a stand-alone
> DCOP/MCOP-CORBA bridge and would require the most work.

The question is whether GAP or Sun would help with the bridge.

> BTW: Why exactly is the ATK-API based on GObject? Is it possible to
> modify ATK to be able to use some toolkit-independend classes (which
> then could be instanciated through multiple inheritance from either
> GObject or QObject?)?

Is that possible in C?

Olaf.

- --=20