[Kde-accessibility] KDE/Qt at the 2nd Linux Accessibility Conference

JP S-C jpsc@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:31:16 -0800 (PST)

> Hi Folks:
>
> Bill Haneman from the Sun and GNOME projects here;
>
> Though the notes attribute the original statement of the consensus to
> Peter Korn (of the Sun Accessibility Program Office), I'd like to
> reassure everyone that we don't seek to discourage work in KDE
> interoperability, and AFAIR the initial conclusion wasn't really
> from me or Peter... my initial expectation for the "interoperability"
> session at LAC2 was that we'd be spending some time discussing how
> to best move forward with KDE interoperability.  I want to avoid any
> perception that "the GNOME folks" want to steam ahead without
> regard for other toolkits, quite the contrary.  But I was persuaded
> by the discussion at LAC2 that in the absence of resourcing dedicated
> to KDE interoperability, all of us in the Linux/Unix accessibility
> community will be better served by getting one vertical stack working
> well, to prove our concepts and the viability of Linux and Unix desktop
> (in whatever form) as an accessible platform.  So I agree with the
> conclusion, but want to clarify that I was not the original source of
> the suggestion (as far as I recall).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bill

Bill,
     Thank you for that clarification, you are quite right.  I don't think anyone thought
otherwise otherwise and if I was unclear what I wrote I'll work to make sure no one thinks this
was, as you put it "'the GNOME folks' want[ing] to steam ahead without regard for other toolkits."
 In my little report to the mailing list, I don't assign the consensus as coming from any
particular session or from coming from the roundtable led by Bill Hanneman, from Sun working on
GNOME, or anything like that, so I don't think too many people will get the wrong idea.  But
thanks anyway for the clarification.  Tell me right away if you hear people start making this a
GNOME v. KDE thing and I'll try to step in.

Best,

--JP

=====
-