[Kde-accessibility] Fwd: KDE 3.1 suggestion: gtkeyboard clone

Jeff Roush jeff@mousetool.com
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:18:27 -0700

On Friday 28 June 2002 03:29, Bill Haneman wrote:
> [KMouseTool] has substantial feature overlap with the "mousekeys" feature of
> AccessX however; AccessX allows the user to control the mouse with the
> keyboard, including position and button clicks.  It would be very
> important to confirm that KMouseTool does not interfere with a
> functioning AccessX setup, since AccessX is already available for Linux
> and Unix systems.

KMouseTool does have similar features to mousekeys, but its purpose is a
little different.

KMouseTool clicks each time the mouse cursor pauses briefly; its goal is to
help those of us for whom pressing buttons -- any buttons -- hurts, but who
can move the mouse readily.  As I understand it, mousekeys is designed mostly
for those with mobility limitations who have a hard time moving the mouse,
and also helps people for whom typing hurts less than clicking.

I'm not sure that many people would want to use both at once, but it's a big
world out there, and you are right that someone will probably want to, so the
programs do need to work well together.

KMouseTool uses a timer to wake it up every 100ms; then it checks the current
mouse cursor position, compares it with previous positions, and clicks if the
cursor has paused long enough.

As long as the timer keeps going, it doesn't matter how the user moves the
cursor.  If he used mousekeys, a head tracker, a footmouse, or anything else,
KMouseTool should still click when it pauses.  If he were using mousekeys, he
would not be able to pause very long when you were changing directions, and
he would probably want to set KMouseTool's delay to wait a long time before
clicking.  But it should work.  But I haven't tried it yet.  But I will ...

Regards,

Jeff Roush