[Kde-accessibility] Diagram(s) of our AT architecture

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:56:56 +0100

Hi Gunnar!

Sorry, my last previous e-mail was incomplete.

Pupeno, is it OK to but the diagrams online with the changes I suggested?=
=20
Would you or Gunnar like to include them into a new AT-SPI documentation=20
page, or should I add them to the web site without further explainations?

> In early December Olaf posted a diagram of our planned architecture. As
> it mixed APIs, libraries and layers of the architecture, I thought that
> it might be usefull to produce a newer version of such a diagram (I
> ended up in producing three diagrams, all of those are attached).

Thanks for making the clarifying change to my diagram that Bill suggested=
,=20
and for splitting it into three versions as we had discussed.

The diagrams were not created using anti-aliased fonts, which looks a bit=
=20
ugly. Could you send me the xfig files so I can re-create the png files=20
before I put them onto accessibility.kde.org?

> The second part (application2.png) shows an alternative architecture.
> In this case the main code of the plug in is moved into QT. However, as
> Trolltech might not want to add a glib dependency to QT we need a
> wrapper around ATK that translates the (glib dependent) ATK to some
> (glib and QT independent) C++ ATK.

There already is a C++ wrapper for ATK, but it includes all of GTK, so we=
=20
would have to make a dynamic library using that if we were to change our=20
course to the second approach.

> The third diagram shows a possible architecture for the client side.
> Here, all we need to write is a wrapper that translates the (glib
> dependent) CSPI to some (glib independent, maybe QT dependent) QSPI.

Actually, the third diagram is a bit misleading. Bill pointed out that it=
=20
does not make much sense using CSPI in a Qt SPI wrapper, as it depends on=
=20
a huge amount of Gnome libraries, and using Corba directly is much easier=
=20
in C++. He also said we would not need a Qt SPI wrapper at all, as all=20
KDE AT clients could directly make use of Corba, but I agree with you=20
that we need a wrapper since almost all KDE developers are a bit afraid=20
of Corba ;-)
Anyway, I would like to remove CSPI from that diagram if Pupeno agrees.

Olaf.

- --=20
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org