[Kde-accessibility] dasher

Jeff Roush jeffyr@pacbell.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:20:00 -0700

On Friday 30 August 2002 06:01, John Tapsell wrote:
> Has anyone looked at using dasher in kde?
>
> It would be cool to be able to type text into a text box by using a
> kde-port-of-dasher.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions on this please?
>
> Please cc me.
>
> Thanks
> JohnFlux

Yes!  I've taken Dasher for a spin, and it is really cool; as soon as I tried
it, I wanted to be able to use it to type.  With Dasher and KMouseTool, I
could click _and_ type without pressing buttons.  Woo hoo!

I haven't emailed any of the Dasher folk, but their website said the source
would probably be available in September, and I was definitely planning on
checking it out.

The first modification would be to have Dasher generate keystrokes.

My experience trying to get KMouseTool to generate mouse events was that the X
Windows function XSendEvent was nearly useless (many applications ignore the
events it generates), and that you need to use the XTest X extension.  I
haven't looked at generating key events yet, though.

When I was using Dasher I made a number of mistakes, and often had to back up
to correct them; it occured to me that having the option to generate complete
sentences and phrases in Dasher before sending the characters in a batch to
the target application might make this easier.  This might become a non-issue
as the user got better and made fewer mistakes, though.

One thing about generated events: they will go to the window with the focus.
If clicking on a window sets the focus to that window, then you don't want to
have to click on the Dasher window to make it send text to another window;
and it would be nice to not have to click on it to set any controls.   You
could still have a send-completed-sentence button on Dasher, but it would
have to either send Dasher into the background before sending the text, or
use mouse dwell times to let the user press the button without clicking on
it.

It would also be nice to be able to easily manage multiple text bases.  Since
Dasher makes predictions based on the text you've shown it, you'd want to be
able to move easily between, say, a Bash vocabulary and an email vocabulary.
A context-aware Dasher might be able to track the window with focus and set
the vocabulary accordingly.

(This email was typed using the eraser-ends of pencils to minimize strain to
my fingers.  I can type quickly this way, and it's not as inconvenient as you
might think, but Dasher would be a very welcome extra option for text input
for me.)

Jeff