[Kbabel] Installation problems.

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Sep 7 21:55:33 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 00:48, Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:54, Martin Wunderlich wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I was trying to get KBabel installed, because I want to test it as an
> > XLIFF editor. I have used the Knoppix CD and downloaded the installation

There is currently a problem at saving XLIFF, which is partially due to the
fact that KBabel can only do PO files internally.

> > files. When I run the make command the program seems to hang and I can't
> > get it installed. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? I have to admit
> > that these are my first steps in the Linux world, so it could be
> > something very obvious.
> > Thanks a million in advance for any help.
>
> I'm not very familiar with Knoppix, but I doubt it comes with the
> development packages needed to compile KBabel. If you have a network
> connection, try to run 'apt-get kdesdk', which will download and install
> kbabel for you (some later knoppix cd's should support it).
>
> If you have the bandwith (300mb), and you just want to test kbabel, it
> might be an option to download something like Klax
> [http://ktown.kde.org/~binner/klax/] which has a complete KDE 3.4.2
> environment - including KBabel, on a CD.
>
> Also take note that when you test xliff files in KDE 3.x they need to have
> an .xliff extension and not .xlf.

Just a note: this not true for KDE 3.5.x anymore. I am not even sure if we
should not better remove the .xliff extension at all, as it is against
specifcation.

> Finally, a screenshot of a development branch of KBabel, with some XLIFF
> features, such as hierarchical groups and inline codes, showing off:
> http://freedesktop.org/~asgeir/kbabel4.png
>
> cheers,
> asgeir

Have a nice day!