[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 22:11:45 CEST 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> Well, for KDE 3.5, it is enough that the check can be disabled by the
> user. (That is not an emergency.)

Right, I forgot that it can already be turned off in settings :)

> As written, msgfmt without any check parameter checks little. So a
> rather robust loading code should be able to do as well.

The perculiarity with catalog manager is that if it gets more robust than
msgfmt, that is a disadvantage rather than an advantage. It is surely an
advantage for the editor, because editor will save it without critical
errors, but catalog manager shouldn't swallow a file that msgfmt wouldn't.
Or vice versa.

The point being, catalog manager should at least tell us how the msgfmt
will react to a file. Anything further I would consider an extra feature
(like a robust code doing its best to read a file, for the sake of
overview, with an extra note of whether msgfmt likes it or not).

> Well, would you like a catalog manager full of question marks? It makes
> the catalog manager useless and degrades it purely to a CVS/Subversion
> client.

I'd say that those who get to putting catalog manager into operation, won't
wince for one source installation with no dependencies.

In fact, given that thingy of shutting down msgfmt in settings, my proposal
boils down to a very managable one: let's do nothing :)

> Well, team coordinators are only people too and mostly volunteers too.
> Menacing is not quite a good way for them to remain volunteers.

Ok, I wouldn't use menacing words...

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)