[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 20:29:56 CEST 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> Sure we cannot offer everything with an old Gettext. We cannot offer
> anything where msgfmt has no alternative (for example the check at
> save).

Especially on save, we should not engage msgfmt if it doesn't know about
contexts and the file being edited contains one. It would wreck
translator's experience, spewing errors on each save.

I suppose cutting out msgfmt at save in these conditions would be quite
easy. Perhaps with appropriate warning dialog, that msgfmt is too old to
be used for checking the file in question.

> KBabel does only need msgfmt for tests.

One must ask, what really constitutes as a well formed PO file? In my view,
that is one which passes msgfmt check, because it is msgfmt which
generates runtime catalogs. Ie. I wouldn't say that msgfmt is just a check
for correctness, but a working definition of correctness.

In other words, no other check (except the conceptually same, using
matching libgettextpo library) can be assurance that file is correct, and
that is why I think it would be counterproductive to try to cut msgfmt (or
libgettextpo) out of catalog manager.

In fact, I'm thinking that we should do absolutely nothing about catalog
manager (except switching it to libgettextpo sometime in the future, for
performance). So that when translator comes complaining about correct
files being flagged as incorrect, he will positively find out that he
needs to update some tools, or live with false alarms.

> No, we need to find the syntax errors. (Otherwise a translator might
> find that everything is right and then Scripty will have an extremely
> long list of errors (as if today's list was not long enough.))

Can't the info about incorrect files just be shot back to team
coordinators, using big menacing letters, and let them organize themselves
within their teams?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)