[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 18:24:37 CEST 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> In your new text "Context inserted by KBabel, do not translate:" I see
> a potentential misunderstanding, as the context is very well in the PO
> file.

I have the same feeling, but I want to point out that msgid is not really
containing that stuff. Perhaps you could drop another message to
kde-i18n-doc, amplifying that we need a good wording there.

> The new patch still uses "not"!

*sigh* When I was reading my first book on C++, I've seen the and, or, not,
and thought, "how nice" :) For some strange reason, it is easier for me to
follow the indenting conventions, than this...

> void setText(QStringList texts, QString msgctxt = QString::null);

Fine.

> So I suppose that with this patch the change needed for KBabel's editor
> are clear, now we need to see about the catalog manager...

As far as I've understood, you've patched it to load properly, and it is
msgfmt that is making problems?

Strictly speaking, if one is to operate with the new Gettext format, he
should also have new Gettext installed. By the way, we should tell Bruno
when do we really need it as a new release.

Practically, there is that problem of not disturbing translators too much,
but I really don't see any complete solution which doesn't require new
Gettext being installed.

One patch we could do, is to detect whether msgfmt knows about msgctxt, and
if it doesn't, skip checking any file which contains "msgctxt" string in
it (and that would mean additional search through the file). This way,
user wouldn't be informed about syntax errors in such a file, but would
have to find out in some other way (e.g. statistics page).

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)